Abstraction? Maybe, but...

From: Mark Sabalauskas <marks_at_max.tiac.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 21:32:45 -0500 (EST)

> >It's hard to see how any one set of rules can to justice to
> >both the "gritty realistic" and "heroic fantasy" styles of play.

> Abstraction, my dear Watson, abstraction.

        Easy for you to say, 'cause Feng Shui is such a great RPG. Still, I find that when I want to play a "gritty" game, abstract rules aren't what I'm looking for. Surely it's plausible that the best possible set of rules for one resolution might not work well at with campaigns set at different power/genre_conventions/scope levels.

        How the Gloranthan game deals with magic, healing rates, societal obligations, worship, and the like will all effect what sort of uses to which the game can best be put.

                Mark