Clever critters, no more ducks

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 12:20:01 -0500 (EST)

Simon Hibbs wrote:

:I'm afraid Brainy Bunny would be fried by the warding spells and spooked
:to death by all the allied spirits and what have you before he got a few
:hops. Nice try though.

Ah, but Brainy Bunny burrows. Unless those clever Lunars run the warding below ground, he should be safe. He can try pop-up attacks...

:Most of the speculations concerning inteligent animals have been very
:humanocentric. Why would an inteligent animal be even remotely interested
:in human cults? Their religious experience would presumably be shamanic
:ancestor worship of some sort.

True. That's probably the vast majority of worship. But I'd think (Human) cults are going to want to try and lure 'em in: if you're a Yelmalion, and the biggest Vrok Hawk you ever saw flies by and says "Hi there," wouldn't _you_ want him in your cult? And if the Human cult is clever, it tries to rationalize the shamanic worship in: add the Great Bunny Ancestor to your cult pantheon, or such. Yinkin & Vrimak _might_ be examples of the process. (Gorakiki and Aranea aren't, IMO, and I don't know enough about Brother Dog. Other examples...?)

And why wouldn't you join? Look at the snazzy deal the spiders get! Free membership, preference in promotions, no troll initiate of the cult can lay a finder on you. What a deal! I'm guessing cats and hawks get similar deals from their respective cults...

I'd agree that even if animals adopt a Human god, though, they're going to have quite a different approach. Mighty Wabblanth, battling to enter Yelmer Fudd's carrot patch in the sky...

V.S. Green wrote:
: Presumably, if an inteligent animal heroquests and masters the Man rune
: Maybe that's the secret of the Ducks! : )

Giving new hope to duck haters everywhere: you can heroquest, boot the Duck hero in the head and steal his rune, and put an end to these annoying quackers once and for all. Go for it, Jar-Eel! All hail the Duckless moon!

James Frusetta
(Who really has nothing against ducks. Yum, yum.)