Wise Woman and Vangono/Humakt

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 15:05:30 +1200

Paolo Guccione:

>> wit, a White Healer would treat a seriously wonded person by invoking
>> magic from Chalana Arroy; Heal Wound 10mp and the person is out of
>> danger. A wise woman would have to treat the wound with poutlices and
>> a night (or even several days) would have to pass before anybody knew
>> the victim was out of danger.

>Yes, this is the way it goes, if we are on Fantasy Earth (a world I am
>somehow missing). But on a world where even a common cold _is_ the
>result of possession by a malignant spirit, though with POW 0.001, I
>doubt one would dare call herself a healer if she had to resort to
>poultices to heal a wound.

Why not? There's no professional guild organization in Glorantha that's going to break her legs if she does. Healing is what she does and her methods are quite good even if they are not as sophisticated as the Chalana Arroy Hospital in Nochet City. But then I guess I should have said critically wounded (ie near death) to make my example clearer.

>A wise woman should be able to do things
>normally impossible to normal Ernalda-only worshippers, and I do not
>think Earth Witch has access to greater healing powers than big E.

You're seem to be saying that your average Ernalda worshipper knows everything there is about Ernalda to the extent of her deeper secrets/mysteries. I don't see why this should be true.

>My,
>if it is days before the victim is out of danger, one has the time to go
>to the tribal temple of Ernalda herself, pray for Heal Wound, get back
>and heal the injured.

Who is going to look after the victim when you spend a week at the Temple learning Heal Wound?

Sandy Petersen:

Welcome back!

SH>>In the real world, travellers used to adopt the gods of whatever land
>>they visited. I imagine this would also be true in Glorantha.

>If a Humakti [...] traveled to
>the Pamaltelan interior, and found that no one used swords anywhere, but
>there was a war-god of the spear, named Vangono, who served the Righteous
>Chieftain, he'd probably attend Vangono's services.

It depends. If the Humakti has a geas against using spears then he might not be able to participate in the services. I'm leery about Humakti going to Vangono in general as Vangono is a fire god (ie spits fire, burning spears etc) rather than a death god. If he can worship Vangono successfully, then what's to stop him from having a Brainwave and joining the Temple of Zorak Zoran? Or is it your position that he can only learn or refresh spells that are appropiate to the aspect he has originally learned? Or if he does learn some unhumakti spells at the Vangono Temple like Firespear then his old runespells will become one use?