Avenging widow

From: Ed Tonry <etonry_at_niu.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 21:45:57 -0500

Sandy Petersen writes:

>Ed Tonry [says:]
>>Because her desire is to wipe out the rival clan, and not just kill the
>>few who actually killed her husband, we must treat her as psychotic.

>Nonsense. Just because she is violating the law (assuming that Orlanthi
>Law, as Icelandic, doesn't justify killing a murderer's kin) doesn't >make her psychotic -- it just makes her an outlaw.

Actually, I was thinking that the scope of her desire for revenge made her psychotic. A normal person seeking vengeance might not quibble about a few innocents getting killed because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. But starting off wanting to murder the whole clan is a bit much - even Egil Skallagrimmson wasn't _that_ bloodthirsty.

Other than that, I think we agree pretty closely on the choices available to everyone, and the results.

Ed Tonry