Ain't that God Learnerism?

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 03:14:09 -0500 (EST)

Sandy Peterson noted...

> Simon Hibbs
> >In the real world, travellers used to adopt the gods of whatever land
they
> >visited. I imagine this would also be true in Glorantha.
> Heathen travelers would actually figure out which gods in the new land
> were the "same" as in their old one, so that Thoth (I think) was
considered
> to be Hermes by the Greeks. This process takes place in Glorantha, too,
> though it is often mis-viewed as God-Learnerism.

       Judging from the debates a while back, suggesting that a god in one region is the same as a god of a different name but similar function in another region is pretty much the accepted definition of "God-Learnerism". All sun gods are supposed to be entirely different entities, even if they are all identified with the glowing thing in the sky. Doesn't make much sense to me, but what do I know. :)

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...