Round rock games.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 19:10:10 GMT

V.S. Greene writes of: The Round Glorantha.

> I see two possiblities. In one, the universe is more or less as we "know"
> it, but the world is round and it not bounded by water or fire. [...]

This works, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the Pelandans believed this, or some modern-day Lunars. Indeed, anyone who has observed the horizon effect, and bothered to think about it deeply (perhaps not a common condition, if earthly theories are anything to go by) is likely to consider at least a Somewhat Bevelled Lozenge, before rushing to truly heretical notions like Bendy Light. (In Yuthuppa, I'm confident anyone propounding such a thing would be placed on a very sharp, _straight_ spike...)

> In the other, Glorantha is a planet around the star "Yelm". [...]

I'd like this to be a feasible option, and it'd make sense for some Gloranthans to believe such things (populace of God Forgot, step forward). But unfortunately, a Yelmocentric view of the universe doesn't square even remotely with the Known Facts of Gloranthan Celestology. (Witness that the axes of rotation of the stars on the one hand, and the sun on the other, are about 90 degrees apart, and are therefore not (both) caused by daily rotation of the Gloranosphere.)

Just to confuse matters though, Greg _has_ dropped hints to the effect of 4th Age G. not being a lozenge. Talk about yer reality as consensual hunch...

And later, on Games as Ritual Combat:-

> I have some recollection of some strange Scottish game (a proto-golf or
> something) being suggested as an Orlanthi sport in an earlier
> RQ/Glorantha list.

Some madcap lister once suggested Orlanthi play "full contact golf" (!). As this is a pretty fair summary of shinty/cammanach/hurling, I took this as sufficient excuse to co-opt a thinly-disguised description of the game into Sartar. (As "Iorgh!", if anyone wants to go look for it.)

Thinly,
Alex.