Even more smart bunnies

From: Stephen Stair <sstair_at_austin.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 16:52:06 -0600

Sandy wrote:
> INTELLIGENT ANIMALS
> As we know, every so often, an intelligent Gloranthan animal is born.

I see there being two not-incompatible sources of smart bunnies.

  1. Random generation In this case, I can see two reasons that could account for the difference in bunny size from the non-intelligent norm
  2. Result of the same "mutation" that created intelligence.
  3. Result of the increased intelligence iteself. Smarter -> Better provider -> Better diet -> Larger size
  4. The spell to transform a fixed INT animal to "normal" INT (the name escapes me). Maybe a bunny parent would have to learn this spell and cast it on each of their offspring? In this case, there are also two reasons for the larger size.
  5. The "being" enchanting the bunny would probably select a larger than average bunny for the "treatment".
  6. Same as (1.B) above.

In any case, is the intelligence of the bunny a dominant trait?

Perhaps an intelligent bunny could heroquest for their intelligence to be passed down to their descendants? I realize this would probably be a large undertaking, but if enough bunnies tried it...?

For ecological reasons, the bunnies reproductive capacity would have to drastically reduced. Maybe the smart bunnies have a myth of how the ancestral bunny traded its reproductive capacity for intelligence?