Gloranthan Cosmos

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 13:04:01 +1200

Philip Hibbs:

>What's a YGMV? Young Goat-Man Virgin?

Your Glorantha may vary.

Alex Ferguson:

VSG>> I see two possiblities. In one, the universe is more or less as we
>>"know" it, but the world is round and it not bounded by water or fire.
>>[...]

>This works, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the Pelandans believed
>this, or some modern-day Lunars. Indeed, anyone who has observed the
>horizon effect, and bothered to think about it deeply (perhaps not a common
>condition, if earthly theories are anything to go by) is likely to consider
>at least a Somewhat Bevelled Lozenge, before rushing to truly heretical
>notions like Bendy Light.

I had been having some thoughts about the Outer Atomic Explorers after reading Dante's Paradiso recently. There are other authors who deal in similar explorations like Lucian, Kepler and naturally Edgar Rice Burroughs. What follows are some of my notes about the Gloranthan Cosmos as discovered by them.

GLORANTHA: Glorantha has two poles, the Sea of flame and Valinds Glacier. When Snodal crossed Valind's Glacier to reach Altineala, he actually crossed (or bypassed) the north pole. When his lover came south with Baby Siglat, she realized where she was and walked west across the waters because this was a safer way home.

        Snodal thought that the Altinae battled the incursions of chaos from the edge of the world. But Altinela actually borders upon _Hell_ and the horrific monsters he saw come from there. Hell of course lies on the far side of the world and is the original home of the Uz. To the east of the land of Luathela and the West is the land of Vithela. To control incursions from Hell, both nations have erected huge walls broken only by a single gate each. To northwest of Hell is Kahar's Sea of fog but between it and Hell lie the Mountains of the Sky. To the Southeast of Hell is some land of Giants of which the Dwarves of Slon erected the Wall to keep them out of Slon. To the northeast and southwest are the oceans.

Red Moon: This had been previously a noted celestial body. Due to great celestial catastrophe, this ended up within Glorantha. It was summoned by the Goddess out of Glorantha and the resulting success bored a hole in glorantha which is called the Crater.

        An article about it is promised in the next issue of TOTRM but suffice to say there are cities on the moon.

Mastakos: Known as Uleria to the Dara Happans. Perhaps Larnste to the God Learners but I'm not sure. I have a feeling that since this planet skirts the lower heavens, it should be accessible to the birds - - CloudCuckooland?

        Its orbit is a problem and I haven't the afflatus yet to arrive at a satisfactory answer. My best idea so far is that there are two such planets orbiting diametrically opposed to each other.

Moskalf: Known as Entekos to the Dara Happans. Lush Green Fertile World swathed in warm white gentle clouds. Usually panoply of inhabitants ranging from Slarges (which are indigenous?) to Amazonian Civilizations.

        Originally it was much closer to Glorantha and is hence known in myth as the White Moon.

Yelm: In days gone by, a disaster struck this planet and it was forced into a geosynchronus orbit above Hell. Hell quickly became unihabitable and the Uz fled. The resulting disruption to the ecosystem caused the mostali to create the sea of ice and the sea and the sea of flame to compensate.

Tolat: Known as Shargash to the Dara Happans. Usual martian civilization (Luatha?) plus warring human states. A Desert world with canals and ice caps.

Orlanth's Ring: Originally One Planet but broken up. The flint thunderstones that fall from here are highly prized.

Lightfore. Details unknown to me as yet. Difficult to visit.

Wagon or Lokarnos. Possibly the home of the Golden Wheel Dancers. Very difficult to visit.

Twin Stars. Extremely difficult to visit.

Artia. Horrible monsters (perhaps insectoid after V.?) live there. The spirits of the dead are believed to go there?

Sky Dome: Pieced with Numerous Holes called stars. Some Heroes have discovered how to make more holes and it is believed that many of the constellations were made by the Sky People to aid inhabitants on Glorantha.

I have many unresolved issues (like what to make of the Blue Moon, what happens when Orlanth's ring travels beyond the sphere of stars, do dead people live on the planets etc) but this should be enough for now.

Bear in mind, that these findings were rejected by the God Learners as mass hallucinations in favour of their scriptual based theory of earth as a lozenge. Nobody in their sane mind believes it now...