"It was the Dawn of the 4th Age of Glorantha..."

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 04:23:30 -0500 (EST)

Alex Ferguson noted...
> Just to confuse matters though, Greg _has_ dropped hints to the effect

> of 4th Age G. not being a lozenge. Talk about yer reality as consensual
> hunch...

      That's an interesting notion. Speaking of the Fourth Age of Glorantha, I've been thinking a bit about the bit in _King of Sartar_ where Agrath apparently gets all the gods destroyed during a Lightbringer quest. Assuming that the gods are all killed by Chaos, I'd think that the world would be placed in major turmoil if not actually destroyed. If the death of Genert makes a large portion of Genertela less fertile and the death of the God of the Silver Feet (I think I have that right; a communications deity) caused the Ban in the West one would think that the death of _all_ the gods would destroy the world _unless_ something happened to stabilize it.

       One possibilty would be that not _all_ the gods died. Arachne Solara survived, maybe others did and got promoted. Maybe regional gods who'd not likely be involved in the hero quest suddenly filled the vacuum. Maybe heroes of the Hero Wars got pulled into the Godplane.

       Another possiblity is that the universe actually was destroyed, and rebuilt into a new form. A form where Glorantha might well be round and something like Earth's natural laws replace gods and spirits. Rune magic would absolutely be gone, and possibly so would spirit magic. Sorcery would probably survive and thrive. Still, the world would be a less magical but perhaps more stable (less Chaos; note that in KoS Broo no longer exist during the "Harshax" period.

       On the other hand, how relevant is the whole Hero Wars thing to the rest of Glorantha? The East and West are only peripherally aware of the battle between the Lunar Empire and the Sartarites, and except for the sight of the Red Moon in the sky it is totally irrelevant to the residents of Pamaltela. After all, if the Lightbringer Quest and the God's Compromise are only important or known in the legends of the Dragon Pass area why should the Hero Wars of that area affect other lands? Do we assume that at the end of the Third Age worshippers wake up one morning, don't see the Red Moon in the sky, and suddenly find that their rune magic doesn't work and they've lost contact with their gods and don't know why unless they're near Dragon Pass? If the Monomyth is not valid for the Dawn, why should it suddenly be for the Hero Wars?

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...