Games as ritual combat

From: Benedict Adamson <ben_at_cd.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 13:03:22 +0000

In my campaign, the Orlanthi farmers played ice hockey on Valind's High Holy Day. Incidents at winter games happen in Egil's Saga and Eyrbyggja Saga, and at a horse fight in Njal's Saga.

The problem I had was producing (RQ game) rules that made the game interesting, yet (not too un-) realistic. Recall that the players wear _bone_ ice skates, so they can't wizz about as modern players do. My players came to the conclusion
that the way to win was to hit the opposition with the hockey sticks until they fell over, then slowly dribble the puck into goal. They result was non-ritual combat!