Inteligent animals & travel gods

From: Simon D. Hibbs <S.Hibbs_at_fcrd.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 17:28:23 +0000 (GMT)

Stephen Stair :

>I see there being two not-incompatible sources of smart bunnies.

>2) The spell to transform a fixed INT animal to "normal" INT
> (the name escapes me). Maybe a bunny parent would have to
> learn this spell and cast it on each of their offspring?

Tha spell is specific to the Waha cult and is not mentioned anywhere else. Waha has this power due to his actions in myth. We have no evidence that the spell exists anywhere else. Rune spells are not just magical tricks that you just 'go and learn', so I'm inclined to assume that the spell is unique to Waha (excepting Spell Trading - there is always a way).

>In any case, is the intelligence of the bunny a dominant trait?

A what?

>For ecological reasons, the bunnies reproductive capacity would have to
>drastically reduced. Maybe the smart bunnies have a myth of how the
>ancestral bunny traded its reproductive capacity for intelligence?

I can't see why this is a foregone conclusion. Rabits breed like wildfire anyway, so I doubt it would make any difference. The offspring would be dumb anyway so they won't have any great survival advantage. The main effect will be that brainy bunny will get to sire (or mother) a larger proportion of the next generation than usual - maybe.

Andrew Joelson :

> Is there no Glorantha God of Foreigners/Travelers?
>(other than Issaries?) Depends on the pantheon, I suppose.

Lokarnos, Argan Argar and Dormal spring to mind.

Simon