East & west

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 22:19:20 +0100

Stephen Martin:

> Only one comment on Digests 150 to 175 (all I have read through) -- I got
> the impression from Genertela that The Cult of the Orca was a
> hsunchen-like cult. This would fit in well with the apparent nature of
> First Age Kralorela, where the Kralori people seem to have been but one
> among a number of others, many of whom were hsunchen. When the Kralori
> took over, the hsunchen cults were all forced out. Having a dragon
> bringing one back (or a new one in) seems very appropriate to me.

In the reign of Shavaya the enlightened were subjected to "temptations of the Beast". I take that as a metaphor for the hsunchen being ousted back then, pre-Darkness. Likewise, the Kralorela entry in GCotHW says that the dragon hsunchen ruled the land before the coming of the emperors.

Putting hsunchen in the rule of much of Kralorela as late as the first age seems a little strange.

V.S. Greene

> On the other hand, how relevant is the whole Hero Wars thing to the
> rest of Glorantha? The East and West are only peripherally aware of the
> battle between the Lunar Empire and the Sartarites, and except for the sight
> of the Red Moon in the sky it is totally irrelevant to the residents of
> Pamaltela.

The hero wars are more than just the lunars vs the orlanthi. The westerners have to deal with the Kingdom of War. In Pamaltela there's the Doraddi-Kresh conflict. Weird things are happening in the East Isles. I'd link all of these events to the hero wars.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689