Re: flames, healers, widows

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 00:53:24 +0000

Me:
> >Any guesses about the Flame [of Sartar]? Do we have Sartar/Quivin, as
> >well, as a volcano/fire spirit?
>Peter Metcalfe :
> He got that from performing the Westfaring portion of the Lightbringers
> Quest according to KoS.

He got *something* from the Westfaring, but was it the Flame? The Westfaring was his Crown Test, where he "travelled to the edge of the sea, and there he contacted a great spirit which could guide and protect many tribes: which could protect a kingdom". The Flame wasn't lit until fifty years later, and I don't see a fire spirit coming from the sea, myself. Could the Westfaring spirit have someting to do with the ram statues that defend the Flame later? Orlanth took sheep from the sea originally, didn't he?

> >I doubt one would dare call herself a healer if she had to resort to
> >poultices to heal a wound.
> Why not? There's no professional guild organization in Glorantha
> that's going to break her legs if she does.
Chalana Arroy has special skills of Treat Poison, Treat Disease, Refine Medicine, and so on. Skills, not spells, and I would guess teachable to other cults. If the Big CA resorts to poultices, why not your local friendly wise-woman? And if she's gto 90%+ in any of those skills, she's ahead of the average Ernaldan.

Widows: psychotics or not, I think we can agree that her desires are a Bad Thing for her clan. A possibility, if you have a Vingan centre around, is that they take her in, agree to train her up, and do their best to make her see the error of her ways as part of the tuition. Unless she's a warrior to start with, they've got plenty of training time before she's ready to be let loose. She can absorb "act responsibly towards your clan" as part of Vingan dogma.

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml