IceBreaker

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 07:42:13 -0600

                The Last IceBreaker, part I

        Harlios stared discontentedly at his steed's ears. His mood was foul, but better than it had been for days. "Finally!", he thought, "Graclodont at last! Now I hope that the priestesses at the Great Temple aren't all over-proud Heartland Assholes; that's why I'm late as it is...."

        Two scarlet-cloaked troopers marched ahead of Harlios, clearing a path for him and his band. Traffic thinned out suddenly, and then they were out of the market square. The horses, at least, were pleased. Cavalry trained, the din and press of the market was too much like unto a battlefield for their animal minds, and they had been getting snappish.

        One of the troopers (Lucidydes?) turned his head and grinned, "Just another half mile, sir. When we get to the temple, try asking for the priest Fellanden, Fellanden of Doblian. He doesn't usually welcome guests, but a man of your rank...."

        Harlios stood scowling as the horses were lead away. The petty temple servant greeting him started to become flustered. Chiak sighed, and turned to the troopers. "Here, a libation to the Goddess," he told them, dropping a pair of coins in their hands.

"Our thanks, and may She send your master a better mood."
"Oh, he's normally quite cheerfull. But we're a week late, and it's
a sure bet he's going to be roasted for it. Good day to you."

        Chiak turned back towards his friends just in time to follow them into the temple. Harlios gave a few words of prayer in the nave of Yanafal, and then they moved on. A courtyard, a hallway, an opening between buildings, and they arrived at the guest house. Their guide hastily left them to the house servants.

"Inform Hemarnna Eel-Airish of my arrival, and tell her that I shall
attend upon her as soon as the dust of travel has been removed," said Harlios quietly. "Forgive me my frowns, they are not for you."

"I am sorry, sir, but the Priestess is engaged in the Ritual of
Deezola's Tears. This will last long into the night. I shall inform Hemarnna's secretary Bergion, and arrange an audience in the morning.

"My thanks, may the Goddess smile upon thee."

        After the house servants had withdrawn, Rhondar asked, "how much trouble are we in?"

"Trouble? Not much. The reflief column is an Imperial mandate;
it is always strong enough for the task without additions such as ourselves. The problem is that Inandana DaughtersBlood set out a week ago and we weren't here. If Hemarnna is another stuck-up Silver Shadow Bastard, she'll say "as long as you are too late for the Kalikos expedition, you might as well do something usefull". Then she'll try to draft us for some pet project too stupid or dangerous for the temple to authorize."

"But that's why we're late!" cried Hwarin. "Just go help sanctify
this itty-bitty little shrine along your way north! Never mind about telling us that it's sitting on top of an old ruined...."

"Enough!" snapped Harlios. "We're getting as bad is these Heartland
Assholes, arguing amongst ourselves all the time!" Then, in a lower voice, "You and your sister go find the women's baths; we men will bathe as well. Maybe a two-hour soak will make us all friends again. The Goddess knows I'm in a black mood, I even forgot to thank those South Gate troopers."

"I took care of that," said Chiak. "If we've nothing else to do
today, then a long bath and a sumptuous meal are in order. The Empire owes us that much, at least."

"At least," Harlios sighed. "Rotation of service to the provinces
should be mandatory. Then these arrogant morons would see that there's more to the Lunar Empire than their blasted intriques. The closer you get to Glamour the deeper the webs. I saw it all before, when I was at the College." He turned and went into his chamber.

        Rhondar exchanged a knowing glance with Chiak. Harlios seldom spoke of his year in the Imperial Capitol, and never without a scowl or a curse. "Let's get out of this armor....."

Andrew