linguistic wrenches

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 11:42:00 -0800

Subject: Pelorian Languages

>The G:G language rules partially support this, but also indicate that
>DH and NP are more dissimilar, both to each other and to the Pelorian
>Farmer Languages, than any of the PFLs are to each other.

Agreed, though I would think that the Pelorian farmer languages would be vastly variable. G:G predated Entekosiad by a lot. My point is, I can see a large are of Pelandan influence in western Peloria, while farmer languages in eastern Peloria may have a Theyalan base. The languages of the river peoples and the marsh folk of the Thunder delta are closely related, and probably in the Pelandan family.

>, but are heavily overlaid with varying amounts of Theyalan, Dara Happan,
Pentan, and Carmanian
>influences, loan-words, etc.

Much agreed.

> The Balazarings and the Jarstics have just as much a Pelorian basis

Would they? I think they may be Theyalan or even Hsuncheon based.

Big wrench time - consider that Dara Happan may be more related to Pentan than anythings else. Before the dawn, the proto-Dara Happans seemed to be pretty much Pelandans. (Naveria could speak to them, they worshipped Lodril/Turos.)

After the dawn, Jenarong refounded Raibanth, coalesced the star obsessed clans of Yuthuppa, (remember Sheng's connection with stars?) and after a while struck a deal with Alkoth. Jenarong horsemen ruled the Pelorian bowl, taking tribute from the farmers. After several generations, many fell into the trap of soft city life and adopted some of the old Pelandan city-running traditions & deities. Then they allied with the First Council and threw out the remaining Jenarongs who never settled down, forcing them into Pent. A hundred years later, Khordavu heroquests to put together the Yelm cult from various bits of Jenarong, Hyaloring, and old Pelandan deities, (having gone to the "Heort School of Deistic Synthesis", down in Zarkos), and hires Plentonius to make it all look ancient and continuous.

This would leave a tripolis based "Dara Happan" culture which reveres the sun, and horses, and considers itself to be superior to and different from the surrounding farmers. Might they still speak an old Janarong-derived tongue?

>FWIW, Antirius IMO originally comes from Pelanda and is related
to Turos (cf the description of him in the GRAY where he is the patron of the assemblies). The Ant in the front of his name merely means something like 'Rightful' Turos.

Intriguing. What do you think of the idea that Anritius came out of the Hyaloring tradition?

> Would New Pelorian then be a Restoration Era language?

Could be, especially if those in Glamour were annoyed at how close the hated Pentans were to speaking Dara Happan! But I like the idea of New Pelorian being an attempt to recreate old Pelandan, though I would guess it is heavily influenced by the Torangi dialects.

I may be offline for a while - my shiba, Rosie, is about to have puppies, so I'll be at home.

Pam