Sanctify

From: Hasni Mubarak <richo_at_epix.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 17:06:01 -0500

Somebody was asking about portable temples, and as I see it, they are awfully rare. Sanctify, however, is a bit different. Sanctify is not a shrine. You can renew divine magic and I supose you can do a divination, and you can tell when somebody enters it, but you CAN'T get new spells there. That's pretty much the distinction I see.

A shrine has a certain number of worshipers. (Probably around a hundred on the high holy day, annually.) And you can get worship and one other spell. A minor temple has more worshipers and you can get more spells. Major temples have lots more and probably has access to associate cult spells. (Or maybe you have to go to a major temple to get one-use spells. i.e. resseruct, sever-spirit, etc.)

Once upon a time, I saw a list of worshiper requirements for temple sizes. I use a rough guide, but I base it on the # of magic points provided a year. Also, I allow "lay" or "associate" members to donate mps at a reduced rate. (1/10 or 1/5...something like that.) So, a shrine to an associate god may have ONE accolyte and a dozen regular worshipers, but if 1000 of the Main temples worshipers show up for the HHD, then it still gets a ton of mps. (Ok, a ton/10)

Oh, and incidently, I am not sure how I would treat Priests/Runelords of associate cults. Do they count as initiates of the allied cults? Or do they get treated as a mere lay member? Ah well, guess it depends on the cult...