Re: Fourth Age deities, secret messages

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 21:28:29 +0000

Mike Cule's ideas on the Fourth age just gave rise to some really loopy ideas. Don't take this lot *too* seriously, but.....

> My own guess about what happens at the climax of the Hero Wars is that
> the slaying of the pantheon is a real and deliberate act, either done by
> Argrath intentionally or something he was manipulated into.
Deliberate. The whole of Argrath's story is about his objections to anyone other than him controlling anywhere or anything.

> By who? Ahh, now that's the real question! By whoever is calling
> themselves Harshax in the Fourth Age, by whoever has been behind the
> whole of Gloranthan history distorting it to their own ends.
You mean, um, Argrath? (Well, behind it from about 1616 onwards, anyway. He only really took control in 1630). He's one of the few powerful beings we know is still around for the Fourth Age: where do you think he got to?

> "We could not get rid of writing, but at least now it is under our
> control."

And he'd tried that one earlier: look at the earlier discussion of how he and Denseros tried to write the last few years of Kallyr's reign out of history! (So who was it lit the Flame? Wrong answer means execution... what do you mean, you were there?)

> And the death of the gods *did* have at least one Glorantha wide effect:
> viz the Illiteracy Plaugue. If that isn't tied into the death of
> Lhankhor Mhy and the other knowledge gods then I'm Melo Yelo's Uncle!
And it got rid of annoying oversights like Minaryth Blue's little diary. None of his children could read it. As he predicted in the first place, remember?

Then of course after a decent interval this "Harshax" finds his ego can't cope with the lack of attention, so he sends people out to find stories about him. The right stories, preferably. I have a nasty suspicion that the author of KoS is going to come to a bad end.

BTW, that name. It's also that of a thane of the Culbrea for whom Min. Purple wrote a chunk of "Troll Gods", complete with hidden treasonous message that would take an INT 3 child all of 30 seconds to spot. Coincidence? Does anyone else think Minaryth was deliberately dropping this earlier Harshax in deep trouble here?

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml