Elves

From: Lemens, Chris <CNU!AUSTIN3!lemens_at_cnucorp.attmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 17:10:00 +0000

I am thinking about writing up a bunch of stuff about the Elf Sea area.  Most of these are blank lands in the Genertela Box. In fact, I can't find any entry for the Elder Wilds at all. Question #1: Has anyone published stuff for this area? Question #2: Why does the map of Genertela from the Genertela box show no forest in the Elder Wilds, but the map of inner Glorantha from the same box show an elf population there?

Here are some random elf questions.
Question #3: Why do runners have fur (instead of leaves/needles/spines)?  Question #4: Why was mention of Shanasse dropped from the GoG writeup (compared to the CoP writeup)?

Some random ideas:
Elvish Babester Gor initiates have a couple of interesting divine spells.  One reincarnates the spirits of slaughtered plants (e.g. crops of wheat) as weeds, which is a handy weapon against encroaching farmers. The other permits an elf to create a "blank" seed, to which an elf ghost can be bound and incarnated, memories intact. (Most such ghosts would then join the Babs and go for revenge.)

Flamal and Voria are the big dieties for pixies.

Mree Vorala (sp?) fills the roles of Earth Witch and Ty Kora Tek (sp? box is at home) for elves.

Voralans use sorcery, yet another reason why no one messes with them.

Elves use two short swords instead of broadsword and buckler. Any right thinking elf would want to carry as many arrows as possible, so would not want to sling that buckler on its back. A broadsword at one's hip makes tree climbing awkward.

Elves do not honor Eirtha, the mother of _herd_ beasts, except to the extent that they honor all foreign earth-daughters. These are _domesticated_ animals! Elves might honor the mother of _wild_ beasts. I suupose the name would sound somthing like Hykim or Mikyh, which is where the GL's got the names of the monomyth.

Almost no one would say that their experience in the Greater Darkness was to get slaughtered, then saved by someone or something totally unknown to them.  It just isn't manly . . . er, elfly. Most of the stories are that the elves slept during the darkness, except for the green elves under the leadership of the High Elf Lord and Yelmalio. So I'm thinking there is a story about one of the Yelmalios and the High Elf Lord being responsible for the Dawn. Which Yelmalio? What did they do? Somehow, they got Yelm out of Hell, or perhaps manipulated the stupid human gods to do it for them? Is that what the elvish Hill of Gold is about?

Chris Lemens