Short small sanctify.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 13:58:26 GMT

Peter M. on Sanctify:
> The area is limited so unless the Priest wants to have only a small
> part of his temple holy, then big founding ceremonies are necessary,
> methinks.

Isn't it stackable, areawise, though? Or even if it isn't, one could merely cast it innumerable times. (OF course, I think they _are_ necessary, even with Zee (current) Roolz. Not _possible_, of course, but necessary anyway.

The President of the Islamic Republic of Egypt writes:
> You can renew divine magic and I supose you can do a
> divination, and you can tell when somebody enters it, but you CAN'T get
> new spells there. That's pretty much the distinction I see.

That's a sustainable distinction, I guess, but I don't recall it being implied by the RQ3 rules. Isn't praying for a new Divine Magic (or other) a "ceremony normally only performable in a temple"? I'll grant you that performing initiations and ordinations in such are (even more) questionable, though.

> (Or maybe you have to go to a major temple to get one-use
> spells. i.e. resseruct, sever-spirit, etc.)

To get the "Common" spells, as I recall. Not the most meaningful of game-world concepts, really. The whole RQ3 temple size -> spell availability mapping is a rather colourless hack, in fact. Use it as a Vague Guideline, and then Customise Up the Wazoo, says I.

Freeform Rant: I think, in fact, that in principle, any spell _could_ be available at any temple, of any "size". What's required is basically a priest who's suitably familiar with the associated Quest (to wit, knows the spell, and can lead others along the path to gaining it) some sort of ritual focus, and enough interested parties that when the temple enacts the Westfaring, the number of bums on seats is sufficient for the active participants to gain Guided Teleport, or depending on exactly how one plays it, to maintain the temple's ability to "teach" that spell on demand. If you like, that the requirements for having and maintaining a "shrine" to the "aspect" of the god manifest in that magic.

So really, I see the Temple Size Rules as merely a first order approximation to this based on common sociological observations, not Hard Magical Facts. To wit, a city or tribal temple means lots of worshippers, means lots of priests, means the wherewithal to embody lots of these "mini-aspects".

> Once upon a time, I saw a list of worshiper requirements for temple
> sizes.

RQ3, Book 2? ;-) Another colourless hack, IMH(arsh)O, BTW.

> I use a rough guide, but I base it on the # of magic points
> provided a year. Also, I allow "lay" or "associate" members to donate
> mps at a reduced rate. (1/10 or 1/5...something like that.)

I think this is a pretty reasonable idea, though I think the "Fuzzy Wuzzy Principle" applies. Two guys donating 1mp each sounds better to me than one goody-two-shoes donating one. This may have to do with the _POW_ donated in total, though... Figure in the amounts donated for initiations and rune magic too, somehow?

As semi-official Speaker Up For Associate Cultists, btw, I think they're worth significantly more than "lay members". I think exactly how much depends on both the cult(s) in question, and indeed on the exact ceremony being performed. Maybe say, an OrlanthI is "worth" about 0.5 in an average Ernaldan ritual, whereas an Asrelite has to bag at least 0.7.

> Oh, and incidently, I am not sure how I would treat Priests/Runelords of
> associate cults. Do they count as initiates of the allied cults? Or do
> they get treated as a mere lay member? Ah well, guess it depends on
> the cult...

Indeed, Depends. If ceremony du jour is "The Marriage of Orlanth and Ernalda", then an Actual Storm Voice is worth a lot more than Yet Another Earth Cult Initiate.

Hypothecatedly,
Alex.