hyalorings and round world

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 15:31:58 +1300

Jeff Richard:

Me>>I forgot to add that the Hyalorings IMO are Pentans rather than
>>Zarkosite Pelorians having been gifted the City of Nivorah by
>>Emperor Manarlavus in return for suppressing the Rikestings. The
>>Hirenmador migration from Zarkos to Raibanth was later than this
>>and involved the final destruction of the Augners of Kestinland.

>Peter, you have just run aground against a revelation that occurred to
>me in Pam Carlson's kitchen last week. The Hyalorings are not Pentans,
>not Pelorians and not some mysterious race unbeknowest to the sages of
>Glorantha. They are in fact the Vinkotlings of Saird(!). I ask you
>simply to look at Greg's map showing the homeland of the Hyalorings
>(Saird) with the location of the Berenthelli tribe (Saird). Then ask
>yourself what is the nickname of Beren, founder of the Berenthelli?
>[Answer: the Rider]. Finally compare the name of Beren's wife (who is
>Vingkot's daughter from the Winter Wife] with the name of the patron
>goddess of Saird.

Your evidence is certainly convincing and it does explain why there is a Hyaloring Triarchy within the Colymar clan. But I don't interpret such myths quite so literally. Rather than Vingkot literally giving his daughter away to the Beren the Rider, I interpret the evidence as follows:

  1. The Saird vingkotlings are native to the land around Nivorah/saird and are known as the Nivorahings to the Dara Happans and the daughters name (whom I forget) to other Vingkotlings.
  2. The saird vingkotlings occupy fall under the aegis of the Hyalorings under King Beren and become known as the Berenthelli. The vingkotlings occupy a Vendref relationship with the Hyaloring overlords at the Dawn so the vingkotlings speak a Theyalan Tongue and the Hyalorings a Pentan tongue.
  3. Discontent at the oppressive regime of the Hyalorings leads the Sairdites to revolt. With the aid of the World Council, the Hyalorings are expelled from Saird. Some of them take refuge among the friendly Elmali, so that Hyalor becomes part of the Orlanthi heritage.

Now all I have to do is find out where the Cannibals and the Archers are...

>Finally, reread the sons of Vuronostom myths and ask if there is another
>way to read the binding of Kargzant at the hands of Oralantus.

Actually it also refers to the expulsion of the Hyalorings from Saird after Vuranostum's death. This event is not mentioned in the Broken Council Guidebook because of the acute political sensitivities involved.

>>Thus when the Jenarong tribe meet up with the Hyalorings, they
>>were suprised at the presence of alien horseriders who spoke an
>>incomprehensible tongue and so called them the "Liars" tribe.

>Ah - it is the Jenarong tribe who are Pentan! The Hyalorings are "liars"
>because they claim to be the "first horsemen" of Glorantha!

Nice if true, but the names of some of the Jenarong Emperors are good Pelorian names. Dardaggus and Daguneri are known as 'Flesh Eater' and 'Eats Women' respectively. Uneri is a variant of Enari (cf BusEnari, KetEnari of Pelanda) which means women leaving 'Dag' to mean Eat and thus Daggus is 'eater'. There is also an Ogre King of Iraval in the Fifth Wane who is known as Dag the Muncher. This is very strange for a people whose speech is supposedly from a seperate language family.

Furthermore, the Saird Hyalorings effectively disappear after 110 ST as a result of their expulsion from Saird and the subsequent extermination by Huradabba. Despite this, the modern Grazers who came from Pent after the destruction of the Saird Hyalorings know of Hyalor as do the Pent Nomads. But the Horse Lords of Dara Happa don't know of any relationship with Hyalor.

Also I was going through the GRAY with a fine-tooth comb the other night and I noticed that Plentonius is very sparing of whom he calls a nomad or labels as coming from a tribe. Only Vuranostum (whose name may actually be Vuranoste, son of Hendroste as David Dunham found out) and Huradabba of all the Jenarong Emperors are said to be either from a tribe or nomads. When the _other_ emperors muster their army or speak with their kin or have their origins described, *no* mention is made of their tribe or nomadic status.

But enough scholaticism from me.

Joerg Baumgartner:

>I suppose some system with an exothermous, bright sun
>in an orbit around a planet might be physically possible. A sun that burns
>out quickly, and possibly needs replacement or refueling now and then.
>(Explains the Darkness nicely. Enter the dwarfs and their world machine...)

This is glorantha with magic. The sun will burn forever because we say it does no matter how small it is physically.

>Someone learned in hydrodynamics/meteorology: does it make sense that the
>storm and the pool rotate in opposite directions?

It's certainly not natural because RW cyclones don't cross the equator. Hence the world cyclone is obviously 'forced'. As for the pool, I assume that it rotates the way it does because of the tidal actions of the sky dome...