Elves and metal

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 02:47:38 -0500 (EST)

Chris Lemens noted...

> I agree with David's point on elves using spears. Wood is plentiful and
> metal, to elves, is not. (What elf would voluntarily go down a mineshaft,

> then use _fire_ to smelt the metal? Maybe there is a booming elvish trade

> in human slaves?) Maybe elves even have a spirit magic spell that permits

> their spears to root after using them.

         I have some recollection (maybe in Elder Secrets?) of elves having plants that grow copper weapons. That'd likely be a fairly slow, although possibly magical, process. I figure that they would also have to be properly harvested with a "Food Song" or they would immediately corrode to powder; okay, that might not be real world realistic but it seems esthetically pleasing to me.

        Still, one could probably produce a pretty decent spear out of just wood, and maybe even a good wooden sword with a bit of work and the right sort of wood.

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...