Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #299

From: Arf <A.R.Wilson_at_herts.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 15:06:59 +0000 (GMT)

> From: CNU!AUSTIN3!lemens_at_cnucorp.attmail.com (Lemens, Chris)
> Surely elves don't use paper. Vellum, maybe, but they would have to buy it.

IMO elves would either maintain an oral tradition, or if they did keep written records, would use the wood from dead trees or other naturally dead wood to make their paper or alternitavely use the skins of animals to write upon.

> From a game balance point of view, I see David's point about elves needing
> an effective weapon. (snip) They also tend to use guerilla tactics.

IIRC in the current age (1600's), elves tend to mainly fight defensively, waiting in the woods for their foes to come to them. This way they can effectively employ guerilla tactics, along with the vast array of dangerous plant life they have at their disposal.

I personally am also unhappy with the concept of elf bows. This is too 'Tolkien' for my Glorantha, and my elves use blowguns as their main missile weapon (thanks to whoever originated this idea on the digest). This means that they are able to carry a lot more ammunition, and possibly employ greater diversity in the types of 'arrowheads' ie poison thorns, spores, roots etc. (as previously discussed).

> Does anyone have enough experience with real weapons to tell me
> whether one could sling a buckler _and_ a broadsword _and_ a full
> quiver on one's back?

Again IMO, a buckler would be small and light enough to remain strapped to the bearer's wrist while the bow/other missile weapon was in use. Does anyone know of any historical evidence to support/deny this?

> Anyone ever tried to sling a spear across your back?

I have used 'half-pikes' (equivalent to a long spear, avg. 5.5 - 7 ft. long) and there is no way you would be able to strap even one of these on your back and be able to walk normally, let alone travel through a forest.

> if they were dwarves, they would just invent the folding broadsword. :) )

Ha! I LOVE this idea! The patented Swiss - no, Dwarf - army sword!

Arf.

| a.r.wilson_at_herts.ac.uk | Would anybody like some toast? |