Reincarnation

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 19:50:28 GMT

David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au> he say:
> Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 18:04:52 +0800
> Subject: Reincarnation
>
> do any Gloranthan cultures believe in reincarnation?
>
> What happens if you cast Summon Ancestor and try to summon an
> ancestor that has already reincarnated?
> If you can't Summon reincarnated ancestors, is this why no one
> believes in reincarnation - because in Glorantha, it can be proved to be
> wrong?
>
> Cheers
>
> David

And I say, doh?

I was under the impression that the majority of Gloranthan cultures believe in reincarnation. (Maybe the elves and the monotheists don't but even the latter has been argued. I once saw an argument somewhere that went: Kill the pagans and then they are likely to be reincarnated as Malkioni and eventually acheive Solace.)

To most Gloranthan cults heaven or the afterlife is just a stage on a journey. (Humakt is an exception.) And your ancestors will be back eventually. It may be easier to contact them because they are hanging around the tribe waiting for a good opportunity to get back into the flesh. (Certainly THE HAUNTED RUINS refers to Sazdorf troll sprits hanging around the tribe waiting their turn.)

Oddly, the Eastern culture (although based on an Earthly culture that did believe in reincarnation) is another exception. They believe they are going to hang around until the Emperor becomes a dragon and takes them with him.

Has David got the wrong end of the stick or have I?

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.