re-incarnation

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 14:39:34 +1300

David Cake:

>do any Gloranthan cultures believe in reincarnation?

The Esrolians, Aldryami, Praxians, Pelorians, Kralori, Pentans and the Galvosti etc.

> What happens if you cast Summon Ancestor and try to summon an
>ancestor that has already reincarnated?

I think these are special ancestors who have maintained their spiritual identity rather than being your average ancestor. IMO the ability of most ancestral spirits gradually decay (in game terms of known magic and POW, and probably their memory as well) until they become weak enough to be re-used. To prolong their stay in the Otherworld, they appreciate a donation of either spells or POW.

> If you can't Summon reincarnated ancestors, is this why no one
>believes in reincarnation - because in Glorantha, it can be proved to be
>wrong?

Not necessarily. It may mean that the ancestor has been very bad (ie learnt sorcery, worshipped Gbaji) or very good (ie joined the Dragon Emperor, worshipped Nysalor) so that he has escaped from the the wheel of life.