Bucklers

From: Ed Tonry <etonry_at_niu.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 22:31:35 -0500

Chris Lemens:
>> Does anyone have enough experience with real weapons to tell me
>> whether one could sling a buckler _and_ a broadsword _and_ a full
>> quiver on one's back?

A.R. Wilson:
>Again IMO, a buckler would be small and light enough to remain strapped >to the bearer's wrist while the bow/other missile weapon was in use. >Does anyone know of any historical evidence to support/deny this?

In the SCA, we have had two types of bucklers. One is just a very small shield, carried like a shield, with a hand-grip and a strap across the forearm. The other has just a hand-grip. The first type is usually narrow and barely as long as your forearm. The other is anywhere from 12-15 inches wide, down to 6 inches (just enough to cover your fist).

Both rely on a hand-grip to control the buckler's movement (and, being small, bucklers require a _lot_ more movement than shields). This makes it hard or impossible to keep one ready while using a bow. But I suppose you could design a buckler held in place with 2 arm straps, leaving the hand free to grasp a bow. Don't know how well it would work, though.

Of course, you could always use the old standby rule - when in doubt, fudge.

Ed Tonry