Spirits and gods

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 03:27:50 -0500 (EST)

Simon Hibbs noted....

> .....you might be able to use the rune spell once after the god is dead
> >but you couldn't get it back. Spirit magic, well, it depends on if
> >spirits remain to teach it. People wouldn't lose their spirit magic
> >spells, but they couldn't learn new ones. It'd likely still be around
> >though as I doubt that the death of the gods would kill all the spirits.
>
> If you killed all the animals, what would happen to the fleas? The 'death
> of the gods' could mean a lot of things. IMHO it is most likely a metaphor
> for a humakt-style severing of all contact between humanity and the
> otherworld.

        Depends on if the spirits actually depend on the gods. My impression of the official Ancestor Worship in Cults of Prax and Gods of Glorantha is that ancestor worshippers are often those who reject the gods and the ancestor spirits they worship are those who haven't been caught up in a god's afterlife or reincarnation cycle. The other spirits that shamans contact aren't generally going to have much of anything to do with the gods.

         However, I do like your suggestion of a "humakt-style severing" of contact as a opposed to a literal death of the gods; makes more sense than the idea that Argrath got the gods killed without destroying Glorantha in the process. That also allots for a potential "rebirth" of the gods through heroquests or something.

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham....