Re: Sanctify, renewing Rune Magic

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 97 17:15 MET

Paolo Guccione
>Look at Mistress
>the Last in DLoD: she is described as having the HQ power of renewing
>her RM in Dorastor, where no temple of Kiger Litor is found. If that
>could be accomplished with Sanctify, why should she bother to HeroQuest
>for it?

Because it doesn't help greatly if to renew a rune spell you have to cast a rune spell. I.e. even if you can renew more than one point of divine magic per Sanctify spell, you'll need to renew that Sanctify the next time you do it.

>At most, Sanctify can be the equivalent of a shrine and allow
>renewing of one kind of spell.

My problem with the spell (and its usefulness, except to keep prisoners from DIing out) is that it is without a given duration. Does that means 15 minutes? Scarcely enough for a decent ritual.

>Of course, one can argue that gathering 1000 initiates around a
>Sanctified area makes it a Great Temple.

The draft for RQ-AiG had sensible guidelines for temple size rules, making it dependent on the amount of magic points sacrificed by the initiates (or lay members, divided by five) rather than the head count, using largely the RQ3 boundaries. Frex, a community of 10 initiates would be able to keep a minor temple operating by greater commitment, 50 MP if the temple ground is holy, or (additionally?) sanctified by the priest for the ceremony, or five times this amount if not sanctified.