Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #300

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 97 17:15 MET

>Subject: hyalorings and round world

Peter Metcalfe:
>Now all I have to do is find out where the Cannibals and the Archers
>are...

Cannibals: go north-west, to YarGan.

Archers: go south, to the Jorganostelli of Dragon Pass. Jorganos is the Orlanthi hero of archery.

>>Ah - it is the Jenarong tribe who are Pentan! The Hyalorings are "liars"
>>because they claim to be the "first horsemen" of Glorantha!

>Nice if true, but the names of some of the Jenarong Emperors
>are good Pelorian names.

Are these indigenous names, or their Pelorian/Dara Happan titles?

>Furthermore, the Saird Hyalorings effectively disappear after
>110 ST as a result of their expulsion from Saird and the
>subsequent extermination by Huradabba.

The vast grasslands of Pent (and the Redlands), and a renewed enmity with the Praxians across the Snowline?

I said:
>>I suppose some system with an exothermous, bright sun
>>in an orbit around a planet might be physically possible. A sun that burns
>>out quickly, and possibly needs replacement or refueling now and then.
>>(Explains the Darkness nicely. Enter the dwarfs and their world machine...)

>This is glorantha with magic. The sun will burn forever because we say
>it does no matter how small it is physically.

Glorantha with technology. I am more troubled about the Ga-Stationary bodies like the Red Moon. They don't stand even near the equator...

>>Someone learned in hydrodynamics/meteorology: does it make sense that the
>>storm and the pool rotate in opposite directions?

>It's certainly not natural because RW cyclones don't cross the equator.

In my model, it would circle around the pole...