Re: Hyalorings

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 97 17:15 MET

Peter Metcalfe:
>>I forgot to add that the Hyalorings IMO are Pentans rather than
>>Zarkosite Pelorians

I agree that the Hyalorings are a nomadic rider folk, and unrelated to the Zarkosites.

Jeff Richard revelates:
>The Hyalorings are not Pentans,
>not Pelorians and not some mysterious race unbeknowest to the sages of
>Glorantha. They are in fact the Vinkotlings of Saird(!). I ask you
>simply to look at Greg's map showing the homeland of the Hyalorings
>(Saird) with the location of the Berenthelli tribe (Saird). Then ask
>yourself what is the nickname of Beren, founder of the Berenthelli?
>[Answer: the Rider].

Yes and no. There is another Vingkotling tribe ruled by a son-in-law of Vingkot by-named "the Rider", the Ogorvaltes under Ulanin the Rider (roughly of the Quivini region). (I fear this might come from an unpublished source...)

Now, if you compare the Pure Horse customs with those of the Beast Riders of Prax, one might get the impression that the Beast Riders tabooed their Horse Tribe because they shared their mounts with non-Praxian tribes.

I admit that I am a fan of migration theories in the origin of peoples, but to me the migration pattern of the Hyalorings is clear - out of Sacred Prax into Vingkotling lands, and on into the Pelorian lowlands.

Other Pelorian horse tribes (I can recall the Hirenmador, but I think GRoY mentions a third one) may have been part of the same migration, or at least the same age of migrations.

>>Thus when the Jenarong tribe meet up with the Hyalorings, they
>>were suprised at the presence of alien horseriders who spoke an
>>incomprehensible tongue and so called them the "Liars" tribe.

>Ah - it is the Jenarong tribe who are Pentan! The Hyalorings are "liars"
>because they claim to be the "first horsemen" of Glorantha!

Which, as everybody knows, were the Galanini / Argoom the Shadow-Rider's tribe / the Hurfor people of Pelanda / pick your horse-riding civilisation.