Elfies at war

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 14:00:05 -0500 (EST)

I like Chris Lemen's description of Elven fixed defenses! Hmmm, some possible suggestions on other potential specialized plants for the defense:

Interelven warfare is probably even nastier -- fostering plant diseases on the enemy, deliberate burnoff of enemy forest, use of Voralan mercenaries or fungus creations to assault plant growth... biological warfare meets Glorantha.

Hmm. And the Garden in Pavis must be among the deadliest of all Elf forests -- after all, you don't have much of a boundary forest, you've got every Elf enemy possible in spitting distance, and you breed slower than all of them. They must be really, really nasty to have not just survived, but _flourished_.

Just something to throw out: me thinks the Elves may deliberately "breed" segments of the population to some extent. IMO, the nature of which individual type of tree an elf is related to will have a link to the elf's nature -- since elfies seem to have a lot of dryad blood in them from cross-matings, it'd make sense. (I played a lemon elf, once: oooh, bitter, bitter.) And you may be able to tamper with Junior when he's just a wee seed -- encourage traits you want to see, discourage others.

So if you think the forest is going to be at war over the next couple centuries, you direct the breeds with warrior traits to raise more children, and ritually tinker with the kids-to-come. Very intrusive, but the Elves always struck me as as being less interested in individualism (unlike us freedom lovin' trolls, I'd point out).

Jamuz Fruzetta

"Since the beginning of time man has yearned to destroy the sun."