elf dress/weapons...

From: Daniel McCluskey (Volt) <"Daniel>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 16:58:42 -0800

Hi all. Atypically, I wanna toss out a couple of thoughts on something that ain't uz...

I think that people are largely forgetting or ignoring the effects of elfsence on Aldrayami weapons and activities. My interpretation of elfsence is that elves "feel" the health of everything they touch. This allows them to climb (avoid dead branches), and garden (poor flower feels thirsty) and Heal much more effectively than any other race.

Of course, there is also a downside. IMG elves Hate to touch anything that is dead. It hurts them (not damaging, just unpleasant -- like a really bad smell). Now, organic dead things are ok -- full of little critters, fungi, and stuff... but the REALLY dead stuff (stone and metals -- especially Iron) is positively painful.

This is why elves grow living bows to use as weapons. I would even go so far as to guess that most elves will refuse to use any weapon BUT their bow. Only the (mildly to extremely psychotic) elves that worship "warlike" gods (Yelmalio or Babs) are willing to endure the discomfort of other weapons. In fact, this also helps explain why Babeester Gor Elfses would use axes... lots of ugly death on a stick... Only the very most twisted and evil of elves would resort to metal-hafted weapons
(swords, daggers) and even then would probably wrap the grip carefully
in leather or some such not-so-dead substance.

WRT elves and warfare... elf woods are FULL of traps, deadfalls, and tricky twisty paths to confuse/destroy intruders. Not alot of folks able to escape those traps, even without those pesky arrows suddenly appearing in your back or eye. Elves don't really NEED any weapon but their bow. Their whole forest is a weapon. Outside of the forest the poor alryami are helpless, well, like a merman on land... or a Troll in daylight... (okay, kinda halfway in between, but you get the idea) the depth defense postulated by other folk is exactly what I envision. You wanna kill elves? catch them outside their woods... Elves wanna kill you? just TRY wandering into the forest with a torch...

um, that's plenty long enough... I'll get to clothes another time... danm
(who apologises for all of the STUPID side effects of using Microsoft
Software that litter these postings.)