elves

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 14:43:22 +1300

Chris Lemens:

>Duh? White elves? Wherzat?

Two contradictory locations are known.

  1. The oldest is the Uz Lore in Trollpak which a Lhankor Mhy scholar records White Elves on the western slope of the spike with the fire elves at the summit. This notes several breeds of elves in and around Genert's Garden but the White Elves are not among them.
  2. The second is the Praxian "what the priest tells me" in Gods of Glorantha. There he lists among the army of Genert, the white elves. The others are the copper warriors, the sky spears, the golden people and "our ancestors".

*Personally* I think the Uz Lore reference is a confusion between Mt Kerofin and the Spike and that the white elves lay between the Great Uz Queendom at Dagori Inkarth and Kerofin (ie near Sartar). I have no idea what they're like, but I doubt immortality.

The closest to the immortals that the Elves have are the immortal Olarians that the Goblins copulate with before they die.

AF>>Most mreli are just just chummy to bits with vronkai, or at
>>least the ones they share their forest with (as opposed to
>>the Nasty ones in the next forest along).

>Hmm. I thought they oft killed each other, especially after Gbaji was
>created. Although if the schism dates from Gbaji times, rather than the
>darkness, there is no reason for any brown elf concerns about mythic respect
>to exist. I need to rethink.

Aldrya's Woe occured mainly in Pamaltela where much of the forest was Pine at the Dawn. This is probably due to the ecological conditions that persisted before the Great Darkness (ie Pine took over and only hibernating remants of brown and yellow forests were left). Eventually the Greens faced ecological competition from the Browns and the Yellows and started scrapping about it. The Greens lost out in in the Jungle and barely held on in Taluk Mormadak and only in Enkloso were they able to maintain their dominance.

It didn't occur very much within Genertela because the climate was cooler.

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #304