horse for courses

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 22:13:46 +1300

Joerg Baumgartner:

>There is another Vingkotling tribe ruled by a son-in-law of
>Vingkot by-named "the Rider", the Ogorvaltes under Ulanin the
>Rider (roughly of the Quivini region). (I fear this might come
>from an unpublished source...)

Plausible. They would be south of the Stravuli Tribe as the Orgovaltes surrendered with the Gansavuli after the Battle of Vanntar whereas the Stravuli had surrendered to the Dorastan Empire eighteen years before.

But I fear that you have fallen into a trap of presuming that Ulanin rode a horse. There is a Hsunchen Bee Clan in the Quivin mountains and Prax is just across the border. Furthermore Goats, Sheep and Bulls can be ridden.

>Now, if you compare the Pure Horse customs with those of the Beast
>Riders of Prax, one might get the impression that the Beast Riders
>tabooed their Horse Tribe because they shared their mounts with
>non-Praxian tribes.

What customs are these? And what is 'this sharing of the mounts' business? Pentans as far as I know do not share their mounts but prefer to enslave *others* like the Grazers for example.

>I admit that I am a fan of migration theories in the origin of peoples, but
>to me the migration pattern of the Hyalorings is clear - out of Sacred Prax
>into Vingkotling lands, and on into the Pelorian lowlands.

Why do you think the Hyalorings are from Prax? They do not raise cattle which is common to other main tribes but prefer to live of the flesh of their own horses (as well as hunting). They don't raid other peoples herds for cattle. They have a highly stratified social structure which is not found in Prax. They venerate the Sun and Horses and not Eiritha.

My evidence for the migration of the Hyalorings into Saird stems from the Entekosiad. There Gartemirus leads a host to help Emperor Eskarlavus to defeat the Rikestings (ie Bird People probably related to Emperor Kestinoros). Eskarlavus has apparently performed the "Muster of Murharzarm". From the other three quarters, Gartemirus sees a naked man bearing only sticks and stones (Zarkos), a man with a javelin and frog protection (Suvaria) and a man upon a horse. Gartemirus is surprised at the Man with a Horse. We know that a Man on a Bird would be expected, but since the foe is the Rikestings, Erskanlavus has changed the rites. It can be inferred that the Hyalorings are not in Saird at this time or else Gartemirus would have heard about it - he is not suprised by the appearance of the Zarkosite for instance.

>Other Pelorian horse tribes (I can recall the Hirenmador, but I think GRoY
>mentions a third one) may have been part of the same migration, or at least
>the same age of migrations.

The Hirenmador migration is stated to have started from Ozarkos not Prax and they don't recall any other place. The Veshtargos are kindred to the Hirenmador (ie Hirenmador was the son of Targos) and the Kashis may be. There are also the Lenshi but they don't appear to be horse riders and the Lendarshi are bull riders.

[Vingkotlings]

Me>>Now all I have to do is find out where the Cannibals and the Archers
>>are...

>Cannibals: go north-west, to YarGan.

No. For starters, there are no Vingkotlings in Pelanda where YarGan ruled. Secondly Porscriptor the Cannibal 'married' Infithe. The Infithtelli lived in Aggar according to the Broken Council Guidebook. So if you're visiting Aggar and want to insult them, say 'please don't eat me'.

>Archers: go south, to the Jorganostelli of Dragon Pass. Jorganos is the
>Orlanthi hero of archery.

Actually he's a son of Vingkot and a Twin of Infithe (I was thinking that he married into the Vingkotlings). Suprisingly he is *not* recorded among the tribes of the Heortlings. However there are several new tribes of Heortlings and so from the location, the Tribe could have changed its name to the either the Gansavuli or the Orgovaltes.

>>Nice if true, but the names of some of the Jenarong Emperors
>>are good Pelorian names.

>Are these indigenous names, or their Pelorian/Dara Happan titles?

Indigenous (like Virimakradda, Hazkartem and Kerunebbe). Why would a foreign ruler want to adopt the speech of his slaves?

Me>>Furthermore, the Saird Hyalorings effectively disappear after
>>110 ST as a result of their expulsion from Saird and the
>>subsequent extermination by Huradabba.

>The vast grasslands of Pent (and the Redlands), and a renewed enmity with
>the Praxians across the Snowline?

I strongly doubt it. They would have to migrate through the Kestinlands to reach the Grasslands. Also one would have to wonder why the Kestineddi haven't colonized Pent if it was completely empty. I can see the look on their faces when they see the refugee Horsemen fleeing into the Redlands and slapping their foreheads, saying "D'oh!". Ergo, I believe that the Pentans were in Pent since before the Great Darkness and that the Hyalorings came from there.

Considering that the Praxians didn't migrate to the area south of Pent until Arinstoli's time (ie during the second age), I doubt that their hatred of the Pentans dates to before the Darkness. Rather it is a hatred incurred by the Pure Horse Tribe booting the Praxians out of Prax.

>I am more troubled about the Ga-Stationary bodies
>like the Red Moon. They don't stand even near the equator...

All this requires is a levitating force that opposes the pull of Glorantha. Zenith (which is a dwarvern hot-air balloon) achives this by simple physics. Bodies like the Pit and Stormgate are more problematic but they are part of the Sky Dome where complictaed phenomenan can occur.

JB>>>Someone learned in hydrodynamics/meteorology: does it make sense
>>>that the storm and the pool rotate in opposite directions?

>>It's certainly not natural because RW cyclones don't cross the equator.

>In my model, it would circle around the pole...

Oops. But even then cyclones tend to start off from near the equator whereas the Cyclone starts from the pole.