Re: Dawning of the Fourth Age

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 97 15:33 MET DST

Michael Cule

>My own guess about what happens at the climax of the Hero Wars is that the
>slaying of the pantheon is a real and deliberate act, either done by Argrath
>intentionally or something he was manipulated into.

So is my belief. The results I think will come out of this are different.

IMO what happens is that Glorantha is killed, i.e. the communal "spirit" and actually nature of Glorantha. Think an enlarged version of the Ban, coupled with the edge-of-the-world adventure in Elric. Glorantha fragments into smaller pieces, some of which might even grow back together, but others may be missing, or seriously displaced.

>By who? Ahh, now that's the real question! By whoever is calling themselves
>Harshax in the Fourth Age, by whoever has been behind the whole of Gloranthan
>history distorting it to their own ends.

I doubt that the Harshax rules much more than a part of Argrath's realm. Travel seems to be difficult.

We know that the Harshaxians have access to Nochet, New Jonston, and the Minarian library. There are no mentions of Furthest, the Oslir Valley, Prax, or other, more distant regions of central Genertela, in the Zin Letters or the collector's notes.

>"We could not get rid of writing, but at least now it is under our control."

>And the death of the gods *did* have at least one Glorantha wide effect: viz

All known 4th Age Glorantha was affected - i.e. the region between Nochet and Cliffhome.

>the Illiteracy Plaugue. If that isn't tied into the death of Lhankhor Mhy and
>the other knowledge gods then I'm Melo Yelo's Uncle!

I agree that there is a lack of LM presence in the Harshax realm, as is a lack of Issaries (far travelers seem to be rare). However, to postulate that this would be world-wide is a bit daring. The Illiterates say all the world was affected. I believe the same was said by Fronelans during the Ban, or (not) said by the Silencers in Fonrit.

(Having said this, I wonder where the Gift Bringers of the Sending Gods really worked, and how the rest of the world learned about it? Should one ask that East Ralian bounty hunter shamaness?)