Elves

From: Lantis <akuma_at_best.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 21:16:47 -0800 (PST)

On elvish spears being made of flexible, quick hardening plant fibre:

This would cause endless jokes about elves with "limp spears" and prompt comments such as "'Scuse me while I whip this out. Sproinggg!"

On elf forests being full of fiendish plant traps:

Rational beings don't place land-mines in their front yard. Any part of a forest used regularily by elves probably isn't trapped. And let's not forget the huge death toll such traps would cause for innocent forest creatures.

Chris Lemens rightly questions why elves should be alien hive mind creatures:

The answer is that this is a part of the long process of Gloranthification, whereby all known races will eventually be converted into alien entities, whose complex non-human mentalities, or bizarre social structures make said races inappropriate for use as player characters.

First they took the Dwarves.

Then they came for the Dragonewts.

Now they want the elves...

Eventually, the scholars will proudly proclaim that Gloranthan "humans", now known as Ur-Wararhim, are in fact, not at all like Earth humans, and that what little remains of Gloranthan role playing should cease.

Yeah, I'm a bit bitter. Something about my Black Elf character being turned into a comical, hive-mind munchkin around ten years ago.