Re: Multiple weapons again

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_danet.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 97 13:04:19 EST

> From: "Jane Williams" <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
>
> A slightly different question this time. Can anyone see any use for using
> two *spears* in melee? (Orlanth is said to have had them, but I think he
> used at least one as a javelin). Personally I can't see what you'd do with
> them, but others on this list may have had more experience in the
> practical side of things.

Odin had a trick of throwing two javelins, (supposedly) one in either hand, at the same time. The feat was also used in an unsuccessful attempt by a byblow to claim his father's throne in Viking times. Alas, I can't remember the names involved, only the would-be king yelling "This is how MY father taught me to pray" just before falling to the inevitable arrow-from-no-known- man (apparently the story was that his father was a priest, not the king, bastardy not yet being a total bar to claiming the throne). Someone might recognize the story and name him; all I can swear is that I didn't get this from some movie or book of (declared) fiction.

If you were using fairly short spears, almost assegai-style, it would work out roughly like two-swords styles, which might be useful.

My guess, though, is that they were javelins of Heroic size, like Akhilles and Hector used in their duel in the Illiad. Entirely appropriate for a Celtish God to wield, and beyond the capabilities of ordinary warriors. Also a great way to keep up with the Humakti using a Truesworded bastard blade in either hand, or greatsword with Bladesharp 20 and double damage from geases, or whatever.