Elves and metal

From: Andrew Barton <100010.533_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 01 Apr 97 13:27:45 EST

>> I agree with David's point on elves using spears. Wood is plentiful and
metal, to elves, is not. (What elf would voluntarily go down a mineshaft, then use _fire_ to smelt the metal? Maybe there is a booming elvish trade in human slaves?) Maybe elves even have a spirit magic spell that permits their spears to root after using them.

IMG at least, elves can get copper and maybe other metals by growing it on trees - this was published but I'm not sure whether the source is still in print. In our world, plants can be quite good at concentrating heavy metals from the soil and a stronger effect for special elf-raised plants in Glorantha seems plausible.

I don't believe elves would mine at all - that seems like an activity of Maker, not Grower. How plentiful that makes metal compared to its availability to humans is a matter for each world creator.

Andrew