elves and fire

From: Owen Jones <oj_at_maths.anu.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 09:45:33 +1000 (EST)

A quick thought for those looking for a way of integrating elves with fire:

Eucalypt Elves!

Australian eucalypt forest is so completely adapted to regular burning off that many species (banksia for example, I think) actually require fire to reproduce. Part of your gum elf's gardening role would be the periodic - controlled - burn off of various bits of forest. Note that these sorts of fire tend to be quick and furious, consuming mainly the trash on the forest floor, but leaving the tall established trees standing. It's only when you don't do it for a while, and the litter builds up, that disasters happen.

As to where in gloranthia you might find gum elves, I've no idea.

Owen Jones
Centre for Maths and its Applications, School of Math. Sciences Australian National University, ACT 0200 Ph +61 6 249 2897 (office) 249 4552 (direct) Fax +61 6 249 5549 Web page http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~oj/