Two spears

From: Ed Tonry <etonry_at_niu.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 22:38:28 -0500

Jane Williams asks:

>A slightly different question this time. Can anyone see any use for using
>two *spears* in melee? (Orlanth is said to have had them, but I think he
>used at least one as a javelin). Personally I can't see what you'd do with
>them, but others on this list may have had more experience in the
>practical side of things.

I have known a fighter in the SCA who sometimes used a 6 foot glaive (sort of spear-like) in his left hand as a parrying/blocking object. He usually grounded the butt, and maneuvered the haft to block attacks. His right hand weapon was a sword.

You could probably do the same thing with two spears, though I think it would be a bit awkward. Attacking with two spears would require someone ambidextrous with a high DEX. Spears don't balance the same as swords, so they are going to be harder to use simultaneously. And being ready for two attacks means you really aren't ready to parry with either spear. Not that you couldn't possibly, but it would be very hard. Of course, Orlanth is a god, and shouldn't be bothered by a little difficulty.

Ed Tonry