Catching Up

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 01:08:25 EST

Hello All!

I have gotten through almost no Digests since the last time we talked. So, just a few random comments.

First off, however, does anyone out there in Gloranthaland have any idea how to contact one Brad Foster, who used to artwork for Chaosium? I would like to use a piece he did, but would like his permission first.

Harshax of the Culbrea

As near as I can tell, this is not a coincidence, it is the result of an imperfect memory. As near as _I_ remember, when Greg Stafford was writing King of Sartar he remembered the bit about Harshax. But, he remembered it wrong, and thought it took place later than it did.

Elves and Shanasse

In their earliest mention (WF4, reprinted in Wyrms Footprints), the shanassae were the race born from Uleria, a non-planty precursor of the elves. They are also known as tilntae, which the Uleria cult tells us are love nymphs. They are, basically, pretty non-descript life spirits, who can serve as mates to anyone or anything.

Thus, the RQ2 version of Aldrya is saying that her husband is a God of Life. Not much to go on here, which is why I think it was dropped -- why put it into such a God Learnerized cult?

I sometimes think that shanasse is the source of aldryami shamans, but I think that role is better filled by Gardener. Or, each could be the source of a separate tradition of elven shamanism, Gardener dedicated more to plant spirits, Shanasse dedicated to life, such as in stopping disease spirits, getting healing spirits, etc.

Allied Spirits in Awakened Animals

I note that in Griffin Island, the cult of Hilme (Ehilm by any other name) has the spell of Awaken Hawk to make the allied spirit. Seems like a worthy type of spell for a number of cults to have.

Copper Weapons for Elves

Plunder has elves growing Copper Arrows on special plants. I favor each elf forest having 5-10 (at least) special rituals to grow magical plants, copper weapons being one of the commonest ones.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com