Eucalyptus Elves

From: Michael O'Brien <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 21:16:28 +1000

G'day all,

Eucalyptus Elves

Owen Jones:
>A quick thought for those looking for a way of integrating elves with
>fire:
>
>Eucalypt Elves!
>
>Australian eucalypt forest is so completely adapted to regular burning off
>that many species (banksia for example, I think) actually require fire to
>reproduce. Part of your gum elf's gardening role would be the periodic -
>controlled - burn off of various bits of forest.

Hey, it of course goes a lot further than that: when a eucalyptus elf says to his girlfriend "Come on baby light my fire" he really means it! Like the trees they tend, Eucalyptus Elves reproduce by immolating themselves! Also like eucalypts, these elves have highly flammable oil running through their veins and have unfortunate tendency to spontaneously combust when exposed to extreme heat. They get very nervous around people with Ignite matrixes...

>As to where in Glorantha you might find gum elves, I've no idea.

Hundreds of species are spread across the southern continent of Pamaltela, in a range of habitats from the edges of the arid Nargun to the great wet jungles of the coast.

There was some discussion about this many Digests ago, I recall. There might be more in the archives then.

Regards,

MOB PS Wow, I'm really enjoying Andrew Joelson's episodic story, 'The Last Icebreaker'. Keep 'em coming Mr J!

>From the Notes from Nochet files:

[XXIX.1243.Heiress?/citycrisis.32/431] "...it is the star of the quince which childless women eat in the hope of quickening their wombs...they say the quinces of Corflu succeed where all others fail. Twice has the Matriarch sent for Corflu quinces, once from the islet of Macris itself."

Michael O'Brien
48 Barcelona Street BOX HILL Victoria 3128 Australia telephone: +61-3-9899-8539

    email: mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au