various

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 11:42:00 -0800

Andrew - Hurrah for the Icebreaker stories!

>Does anyone but Alex & I care about this stuff? Should we take it to
private e-mail?

If you like. I've been using the ol' "down" button quite a lot, but many people seem to be enjoying the elf thread.

>Australian eucalypt forest is so completely adapted to regular burning off
that many species (banksia for example, I think) actually require fire to
reproduce.

The same is true of many N. American forests. Anyone remember all that controversy about allowing Yellowstone Nat'l Park to burn a few years ago?

David Cake:

>For interest, the oldest living thing is apparently a hundred
meters or so of shrub, a shrub that is sterile and reproduces by budding,
and thus is all effectively the one individual, somewhere in Tasmania. Its
location is a secret. Its 45, 000 years old IIRC.

Spiff! That's as nifty as the world's largest organism: a giant underground fungus that covers much of soggy, southwestern Washington (Lovely Washington state, that is - not the rodent-ridden capital city back east.) This critter is several miles long, and as far as anyone can tell, a single organism.

Just think, a visit to our famous fungus could be the a highspot on your summer tour of the Pacific Northwest, which would of course include GLORANTHA CON V in Victoria, BC, July 25-27, 1997. Added bonus: there are no poisonous snakes here!

(I was watching a garter-snake spring jamboree in the forest yesterday, and reflected that if I were in Australia, I would have been fleeing for my life...)

Looking forward to seeing you all this summer!

Pam