elf sense

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 11:55:19 +0800

>Close to my thoughts, but not quite. I think that elves constantly
>`hear the song of the forest.' They have a sense that no other
>species has that lets them `hear' and understand the Great Song of
>Aldrya.

        Or rather 'feel', to be nitpicky. But I presume most elves can pick up something most of the time, when within a forest, from ground covering plants, etc.

>I proposed that the reason some elves become `rootless' was that they
>are essentially deaf to the Song. They can't hear it. They don't
>understand it. And thus they don't really fit in with the rest of
>the elves. (Actually, this might apply only to renegade elves rather
>than rootless.)

        I think this is a good explanation for rootless, rather than renegades. Rootless elves are those who simply aren't able to join the cult of Aldrya, and we were never given a real explanation for why - now we have a good one.
Note that many rootless elves are actually constructive, and probably even happy, members of elven society - they just aren't Aldrya initiates. I imagine that your average Aldryan feels some pity for the rootless, but not dislike. Renegades are those who are not part of elven society by choice. They may be rootless as well, or they may just be misfits.

        I like the idea, but think it shouldn't be overdone - all I would really want to say is that something detectable only by elven senses is important for proper Aldrya initiation, and some elves can't hear that.

        David