Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #311

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 17:58:38 +0800

Carl Fink replied to me, replying to someone else
>> Why? Can two mushrooms merge to become a bigger mushroom?
>Two mushrooms anywhere near each other *are* the same organism, in
>general.

        My point was merely about structural integrity, rather than individuality, how is mushrooms being part of the same organism relevent?(of which I was aware, though I hardly see how it applies to mobile humanoid fungi, who are unlikely to remain joined by mycellia). Two mushrooms being part of the same creature does not imply any morphing or shapechanging ability on the part of a mushroom related creature.

>Each of those mushrooms belongs to the same creature,
>just as your fingers aren't separate organisms.

        Precisely - and when was the last time your fingers flowed together to form one big finger?

>And while visible mushrooms don't generally merge, there are related
>organisms called "slime molds" which live as single-celled animals
>most of their lives, but merge to create little fungus-like fruiting
>bodies at reproduction time.

        Related, hey? Just how closely related? In taxonomical terms, pretty distantly.

        Slime molds probably do lie within Mee Voralas sphere anyway (Gloranthans not being overly concerned with modern taxonomical niceties), but I don't think Voralans are slime molds, or even close. For a start, they have enough stuctural integrity to walk around, and have proper jointed limbs. Nevertheless, feel free to create some hideous slime mold related creature that lives within Voralan gardens, if you want.

        But Voralans being a race of slimy morphing shapechangers? Nah. There is weird, and there is just too damn weird.

        Cheers

                David