Re: form/set substance

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_danet.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 97 10:18:23 EST

> "John R. Snead" <jsnead_at_netcom.com>:
> [form/set substance]
> >Is there any particular reason that this spell has been eliminated in so
> >many Sorcery revisions? It's always seemed like a useful, but not
> >terribly overpowered spell to me, have I missed some massive
> >abuse-potential which renders it suspect?
>
> Carl Fink carlf_at_panix.com
> It also allows the cruelest spell short of Tap INT: Form/Set Flesh,
> which allows the sorceror to horribly deform and maim his enemies (or
> heal them, of course).

Such as combining parts of a horse and its rider to produce a centaur?

It sounds like 2nd Age sorcerors DID have the Form/Set class, but that they have been lost/suppressed since then, probably by members of the Amalgamated Association of Iron, Steel, Bronze, and Tin Workers of Glorantha, Nida Mountain Local (aka, Mostali), who were locked out of their factories to force them to accept lower wages when the God Learner owners introduced the labor-saving machinery (Form/Set <metal> matrices). Thus the war to destroy the Clanking City is the Lozenge version of the Homestead Steel Strike, with King (forgot the name, but commisioned Zistor) as Henry Clay Frick or Andrew Carnegie.

A neat, clean theory (with personal/family history appeal, too). Hmmm, I must be wrong :-)