re-Ice

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 10:53:28 -0600

Last post didn't seem to get thrugh, so we try again.
- -----------------------------------------------------

		The Last Icebreaker, Part IV

~	"NO!" cried Harlios, as the grey bore him away.  "I have no time

~ for this!" But a hasty glance over his shoulder showed no signs of
~ pursuit. He circled around and swung back. His mount fought him;
~ and then the pack began to move.

        Harlios swore vile oaths as he swung about again. "Stop!" cried Drel, the Char'un spell wavering in it's grasp. Harlios clamped down on his rage, and felt the spell stabalizing.

        "Wolves are long distance hunters, "he thought grimly, "used to running their prey into the ground. Well, let them try! We'll lead them away for an hour's time and circle back. Nothing of flesh alone can match my stallion now. And the wolf spirits will stay with the shaman. We'll run him off his feet!"

        "AIYA! Icebreaker! Char'un friend! We will make room for you!" boomed the shaman's voice, as the wolves fell back to the west. The Ghost Wolves howled with their long tongues running out; wolf laughter. "We will not devour your beast," they cried. "Go! Drive back the Freezing Wind! Uzhim are our enemies too!"

        Harlios turned in a long loop around the Black Rock, spiraling back in towards the ritual markers. Sweat ran down the stallion's neck; fear had done what hundreds of miles could not. He rolled his eyes, but steadied his pace. The pack was more than a hundred yards from Rashtingall.   The wolves were loping in easy circles around the shaman, yipping, and showed no inclination to come closer.

        Dashing dreamlike,

                                        Valind! King of Winter!

        Devine dancer,

					Frigid Lord, Northern Wind,
					Hear my challenge, as of old!

	Daring, dauntless,

					Bide within thy frozen fasteness,
					Built upon the Glacier's brow.
					Come no more unto the Southlands,
					Stay within thy rightfull realm!

	From the Dusk until the Daaaawwwwwwww....

	The shimmering colors of the spirit realm faded.  They became
starker, less bright but more _real_. As if they would impress themselves  directly into the mind, bypassing the eyes.

        Time seemed to stretch and twist. The stallion slowed and halted in midstep. Harlios felt him become rigid, it was like sitting on a marble statue.

		aaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww..................

	Drel's voice went on and on, never varying.  Frozen in mid-word.
Harlios had come into the Timeless Realm; the GodPlane.

Andrew