non-human PC's

From: Martin Crim <MCrim_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 12:58:16 -0500

John R. Snead wrote:
>With the recent talk of just how alien various non-humans on Glorantha
>are I thought it might be useful to discuss just what non-humans are
>suitable for play in parties which interact with humans (ie most folks on
>Glorantha).
>
>Here's a list of best options I know
>
>Best choices:
>
>Argan Argar worshiping Trolls (especially in the Holy Country)

Trolls in general make good PC's, but I've mostly seen them in all-troll groups.

>Outcast Dwarfs

Only if you're willing to allow sorcery in your game.

>Newtlings

Rather alien--I've never seen any played.

>Wind Children (especially in Orlanthi regions or in Kralorela)

Only if you never go underground (or have a crazy wind child with claustrophilia).

>Rootless or Renegade Elves

These tend to end up as hoomans in green suits in my experience.

>Centaurs

Fun if done well.

>human variants like the Men-And-A-Half and the Waertagi

Hard to do well.

>So, do these all seem like reasonably easy PC choices for most folks?
>
>Difficult but possible PC choices:
>
>Young wandering Elves

Sometimes it's better to do a character with a timeline to follow, rather than an adventurer with no thought for tomorrow.

>Outcast Dragonewts (especially in Kralorela)

Too alien for 99% of roleplayers to do properly. I've seen them done poorly, but never seen one done well.

>Morocanth (best played only in Prax)

Excellent, IMHO. Works well in a majority-troll party, too.

>Superior Trollkin

I'm surprised these are on the second list, not the first. They provide more hooks and guidelines for roleplaying than do Uzko. I've always found them fun, but only a non-powergamer will take one on.

But I've turned away from doing non-humans PC's. I think it's more important and more fun to do humans well. There's a lot of room for improvement in most folks' roleplaying which is better explored with a human character.