Re: non-human PC's

From: John R. Snead <jsnead_at_netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 17:21:21 -0800 (PST)

Martin Crim <MCrim_at_erols.com> wrote:

>>Argan Argar worshipping Trolls (especially in the Holy Country)
>Trolls in general make good PC's, but I've mostly seen them in all-troll
>groups.

With the right background Human/Troll mixed parties work quite well. A Kitori human/troll party sounds like great fun.

>>Outcast Dwarfs
>Only if you're willing to allow sorcery in your game.

True but with Sandy's Sorcery modifications (adapted for Dwarfs) I don't see any problems with using it. If you also Western humans you've got the same problem.

>>Newtlings
>Rather alien--I've never seen any played.

They actually work quite well. They are especially good for players who are interested in dragons and dragonewts, since newtlings are often taken as DN slaves, and they can lean Auld Wrymish much more effectively than humans. A *much* better and more interesting choice (IMHO) than a Dragonewt PC.

>>Wind Children (especially in Orlanthi regions or in Kralorela)
>Only if you never go underground (or have a crazy wind child with
>claustrophilia).

Yep.

>>Rootless or Renegade Elves
>These tend to end up as hoomans in green suits in my experience.

True, anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid this?

>>Centaurs
>Fun if done well.

Once again, stay out of caves.

>>human variants like the Men-And-A-Half and the Waertagi
>Hard to do well.

Why? These seem particularly easy to play. I've seen Waertagi played, and done well. I've not seen the Men and a Half played. Has anyone else played them?

>>Difficult but possible PC choices:
>>
>>Young wandering Elves
>Sometimes it's better to do a character with a timeline to follow, rather
>than an adventurer with no thought for tomorrow.

Has anyone successfully played a non-renegade/rootless elf in a campaign, especially a non all-elf campaign? A mixed Elf/forest-dwelling hunschen party could work especially well, or a Yellow Elf/Teshnos human party.

>Outcast Dragonewts (especially in Kralorela)
>Too alien for 99% of roleplayers to do properly. I've seen them done
>poorly, but never seen one done well.

Yep, one of the few choices we always veto. Has anyone ever seen one done well? I've mused about taking a noble DN who has forsaken the dragon path and adopted Kralorelan culture, but I'm doubtful about such a character working. Ideas?

>>Morocanth (best played only in Prax)
>>Excellent, IMHO. Works well in a majority-troll party, too.

True, Baboons can work here also, but are a bit more odd to play.

>>Superior Trollkin
>I'm surprised these are on the second list, not the first. They provide
>more hooks and guidelines for roleplaying than do Uzko. I've always
>found them fun, but only a non-powergamer will take one on.

Playing the subservient mindset can get a bit old for many folks.

>But I've turned away from doing non-humans PC's. I think it's more
>important and more fun to do humans well. There's a lot of room for
>improvement in most folks' roleplaying which is better explored with a
>human character.

Perhaps, but I've recently been rethinking the widely accepted truism that deep role-players only play humans. Glorantha has a number of potential PC species and I honestly think that thoughtful role-players can play most of the above options deeply and well. I think its time to reclaim non-humans from the munchkins :)

Other Comments?