Misc. Elf thoughts

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 23:06:06 -0500 (EST)

David Cake said:
>a) Why this obsession with elf warriors climbing trees, though?
I played a small elf in poor health, once (low CON) and let me tell you -- trees are an elf's best friend. First sign of a fight, I'd scamper up the nearest tree and shoot at anyone who came too near. ;)

>I don't see why climbing trees is particularly important for the elf
>military.

'Coz it keeps you out of maul range! ;)

>While I can see the occasional elf sniper doing it I would have thought
>most elves relied on mobility as part of their strategy fairly heavily.
>Thus, you don't climb trees much, because then you would have to waste
>time climbing down as the trolls charge.
Unless you carefully tend your forest so that you can get from tree to tree without having to touch the ground. Trees planted close so you could jump from tree to tree, maybe, or vines carefully cultivated between trees so you can walk across them.

And of course Elf snipers are going to be the military force most people are familiar with -- most battles with Elves won't get far in enough to see the heavy stuff.

Granted, I'm assuming that Elves are able to manipulate plant species to a pretty amazing degree; but if trolls can breed bugs, etc., why can't Elves breed plants? Must be some amazing rituals...

***
John Snead mentioned:

>>>Young wandering Elves
>>Sometimes it's better to do a character with a timeline to follow, rather
>than an adventurer with no thought for tomorrow.
>Has anyone successfully played a non-renegade/rootless elf in a campaign,
>especially a non all-elf campaign?

Two semi-successful attempts (and they call me a troll!). The problem I usually saw was that people played them as walking bow attacks -- just as I've usually seen Humakti played as walking sword attacks. ***
Joseph Troxell suggests Elven hand grenades:

Hmmm. Suggesting also another use for that amazing trollish liquor. You take a huge swig; ready the ignite matrix; spew out the booze; and flame it on as you spit it out. Presto! Instant flamethrower. ;) Recommended only for the most macho of Zorak Zorani.

***
Question: what's the "line of sight" on darksense? Just curious -- if a troll has a narrow focus of darksense, then being in a tree high above may be a big advantage. Trolls (and Dwarves) will have to proceed into an Elf forest, cautiously, trying to scan the trees above.

***
How do Elves organize in war? Humans have banners; trolls have drums; dwarves probably have obscenely complicated rituals. What do Elves have to rally their organized troops? Wave flowers?

***
Hmmm. Though trolls seem to be regarded as the prime Elven enemy, I actually think Dwarves are the nastier foe. A trollish assault is basically a raid on the salad bar; Dwarvish assaults to me would be an attempt at complete destruction of the forest.

In a bit of irony, since elves killed Mostal, use Mostal to kill them. Poison the very soil, so that nothing will grow there again. ***
And where do you find gum elves? Why, under the desks in trollish schools, of course.

James Frusetta