Troll sorcerors

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 13:36:00 -0600

> BTW, I asked Greg "Can Troll sorcerors use KL divine and spirit spells?"
> and he said "No way" at Convulsion 1, and "Of course" at Convulsion 2. I
> give up. Any opinions? I say "Yes".

        Here comes my two cents:
Penny #1) This depends on the mindset of the sorceror. A western sorceror   learns that pagan gods are really just whopping big spirits; appeasing   them with prayer is blasphemous. Prayer is reserved for the Invisible   God. Sorcery is an exercise in logic.....     This guy's mindset is too inflexible to attempt spirit or devine   magic.
    The troll grows up with spirit magic, KL, and sees devine magic in use.   Then, if he's a smith or otherwise unusual, somebody instructs him in   sorcery by rote. "Here's one of those nifty little tricks that Arkat   KingTroll taught us..."
Penny #2) Letting somebody have acces to spirit/devine magic _and_ sorcery   sounds fairly game-unbalancing.

Please note that Troll-Pack (my old Chaosium version) said that sorcery was pretty much restricted to smiths, who needed the magic to make metals mallible without fire. Because they used sorcery, smiths were little trusted, and usually made the villian/laughingstock in jokes and fables... The long and short of this was that sorcery carried a stiff social stigma in trollish society.

        Andrew

Drink Kalikos-Koolers!